Pages

Monday, September 16, 2013

Praying


A Prayer for the World

Let the rain come and wash away
the ancient grudges, the bitter hatreds
held and nurtured over generations.
Let the rain wash away the memory
of the hurt, the neglect.
Then let the sun come out and
fill the sky with rainbows.
Let the warmth of the sun heal us
wherever we are broken.
Let it burn away the fog so that
we can see each other clearly.
So that we can see beyond labels,
beyond accents, gender or skin color.
Let the warmth and brightness
of the sun melt our selfishness.
So that we can share the joys and
feel the sorrows of our neighbors.
And let the light of the sun
be so strong that we will see all
people as our neighbors.
Let the earth, nourished by rain;
bring forth flowers
to surround us with beauty.
And let the mountains teach our hearts
to reach upward to heaven.

Amen.

- Rabbi Harold Kushner – 2003

I’m a cradle Catholic and I love prayer.  It is powerful, calming and extremely helpful for me.  It’s common to turn toward prayer during times of trouble and don’t for one second think that God isn’t listening because you aren’t a regular prayer.  He is always there and always welcoming you with open arms, an open mind, and an open heart.  We need to unite in prayer for those families affected by today's mass shooting and for peace in this world.  

Today’s mass shooting at the Naval Station in DC touched close to home for me.  I live near a major naval base, have loved ones that work on the base, and have close friends that work on the DC base.  Luckily, all my loved ones are safe, but there are many that are suffering today.  These men and women that were targeted today are among many that have put their lives on the line for this country here and abroad.  They are brave men and women, much braver than me, and their families have sacrificed tremendously for our freedom.  Birthdays, holidays, first days of school, first words, last words, have all been missed because they are serving the citizens of the United States.  I am not saying their lives are more important than other lives because I truly believe we are all equals, but they have sacrificed for us and now they are sacrificing again, and it's for a completely unnecessary and and selfish reason. 
 
I pray for those who lost a loved one today. 
I pray that tormented souls deal with their pain in a healthy fashion and not at the expense of other’s lives. 
I pray for Peace. 
I pray for Love, an abundance of Love. This world is in dire need of a little more love. 
 
I firmly believe that the more respectful we are to each other, the better this world will be.  Treat others as Jesus would treat them. 

Much love.

1 comment:

I love comments!