Pages

Sunday, September 15, 2013

Off to the Ball

If you would have asked me two weeks ago if I thought I'd be able to compete in the Fall 2013 Arthur Murray DC Freestyle Ballroom Dance Competition, I would have told you no with an extremely sad heart, but my knee has healed quickly and I can in fact compete this coming Friday!  I am beyond excited!  My knee injury was a result of overuse.  I basically strained my IT band and staying off it, icing it and stretching it, was exactly what I was supposed to do.  The doctor was completely find with my dancing, but told me not to run or cycle for 3 weeks.  The constant repetitive motion is what irritates the IT band and in turn my knee.  Luckily for me, dancing isn't repetitive or pounding. 
 
While I do not feel nearly as prepared for this competition because I missed three weeks of lessons and I am not dancing with my traditional instructor, I am still very excited to compete.  When I dance, I feel so alive.  There is an energy that exudes from my body.  I absolutely love it!  When I dance, I feel. I feel the music. I react to the lead most of the time. I'm focused. I'm smiling. I'm in a different world for those two minutes per dance. 
On Friday, the studio had a "spotlight" or a mock competition for all the students competing in DC, so Ryan was able to see me somewhat in my mode.  I wasn't in costume and my hair and makeup weren't done, but I was all smiles and much more confident while I was dancing.  He was thoroughly impressed and said I like seeing you like that.  You are way better than you used to be.  It's cool.  He has never seen me compete, but fingers crossed he will be able to see me this weekend!  It's a different world and for those who aren't competing it's like watching a movie.  There are costume ball gowns, an abundance of fringe, tan bodies, fake lashes, an insane amount of diamonds and glitter, constant dancing, and plastered on smiles. The one thing that bonds us all together, we love to dance and we want to be great!  It's such a fun family to be a part of.  We are competitors on the floor and friends off the floor.  I watch in awe of several dancers, take mental notes on how to improve my skills, compliment others, but the second I get on the floor, I dance and if you are in my way, I'm sorry, buy you'll probably be hit with my arm extensions or stepped on my by heel.  It goes both ways.  I've had my fair share of damages.

Here is a picture of a picture of my during my last competition!  I've got some swag, but I also have a ton of room for improvement.
 
Oh and for pure entertainment, each competition has a theme and this year it is an 80's theme!!  Like my costume?!
 
 
SPIL: Simple Pleasures In Life
+Feeling like a rock star on the floor
+Fringe dresses that give you sass
+Amazing instructors and friends
+Dancing
 
Much love.

P.S. If anyone has any digital pictures of me, please let me know!  I don't have any because I am always behind the camera...

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!