Pages

Tuesday, September 24, 2013

I'm Normal...according to a health screening


My place of employment is kind enough to offer health screening twice a year for all employees.  I’m pretty sure they get a discount on their health insurance plan based on the results, but regardless it’s a perk in my mind.  I love to know my current state of health without going to the doctors.  I don’t even remotely enjoy going to doctor’s appointments.  The waiting room is full of germs and I always feel like I sit there for far too long.  The nurse weighs me and it’s always 3+ lbs more than any other scale I’ve gotten on in the past month. I wait for the doctor….and wait.  Doctor comes in, does a few things, says a few things, and is out in less than 5 minutes.  I rarely feel better after leaving.  Just not my idea of a good time.  Anyways, being able to have my Blood Pressure, Cholesterol, BMI, and Blood Glucose measured, while never stepping foot in a doctor’s office is right up my alley. 

So how did I measure up?  I’m NORMAL.  WooHoo!  Who woulda thunk? 

Cholesterol
Total Cholesterol: 130 MG/DL which is good because I should be <200 font="">
HDL Level (Good Cholesterol): 75 MG/DL which is good because I should be >40
LDL Level (Bad Cholesterol): 64 MG/DL which is good because I should be <130 font="">
Total Cholesterol/HDL Ratio: 2.4 MG/DL which is good because I should be <4 .0="" font="">

Blood Pressure & Temperature
130/77
That top number (systolic) is a little high.  It should be below 120.  Might be those dark chocolates and Punk’N Beer I had last night…or the yogurt I ate this morning absentmindedly.  Oops. The bottom number is fine though.  I’m below 80, not much, but I’m below.  My blood pressure has always been on the high end when compared to my healthy lifestyle.  Ironically, my temperature has always been on the low end.  I take my temp every morning and it ranges from 96.9 and 97.8 without fail.  That’s about a degree lower than the average 98.6 that I grew up hearing.  Recent research is indicating that the new “normal” temperature is actually lower than traditionally thought.  Studies indicate 98.2 as the new norm and that as we age, our temperature actually drops slightly.  Interesting… I think I’m evolved!  Hehe!

BMI: Body Mass Index
I should be between 18.5 – 24.9 and I am 21.2, so I am right on point.  Women tend to have a slightly higher BMI, but regardless I am happy with where I stand because I definitely used to be higher that 21.2.  Baby steps.

Blood Glucose
For eating a lot of fruit and having quite the sweet tooth, I am normal!  Whoop Whoop!  I was minorly shocked when I heard that because I definitely ate chocolate last night. You gotta have your little indulgences now and then.

My overall mottos:
I workout so I can eat.
I eat healthy most of the time so I can enjoy sweets some of the time.
When it comes to food, moderation is key. 

Oh and I got this nifty antibac pen.  It kills 99.9% of bacteria with 24 hours. The protection lasts the lifetime of the pen, Helps prevent the growth and spread of bacteria. Effective against viruses, fungi, and bacteria.  Antibacterial additive molded directly into the plastic body of the pen...Interesting... Have you ever seen one? 

Much love.

1 comment:

  1. It's always good to get a clean bill of health!!! Good for you :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!