Pages

Thursday, August 29, 2013

Receiving Criticism

It's performance review time at the coffee company and regardless of how strong your performance has been, there is the dreaded opportunities section.  The section where your boss tells you were you have room for improvement.  There is no way that this section is an extremely pleasant experience for anyone, but by God, I do my darndest to make the most out of it.  Hearing constructive feedback from your boss (or anyone) can be challenging, especially when they hit the nail on the head.  My boss sent me my review to read over prior to our meeting, so I knew what I was walking into.  Don't worry, it wasn't bad. 
 
I will say that I read my review and thought two things:
1. Wow, my boss knows how to glorify my accomplishments which makes me super happy.
2. Ugh.  He knows my weaknesses too well...I need to be better at hiding them.
 
It's easier for me to receive feedback that I don't already know that I need to work on, but hearing feedback that I already know I have to work on is just a bit more difficult to hear.  I tend to get very defensive, but I'm going to pat myself on the back because today I didn't get defensive.  I listened and discussed and asked for ideas on how to improve.  Holy humbling experience batman.  It wasn't easy, but it was a learning experience and I learned.  I listened.  I cared. I discussed. I learned.  Now it's time to act. 

This wasn't me, but it's funny to me!

August 26, 2009
 
SPIL: Simple Pleasures In Life  (9-13)
+Cobalt blue and neon yellow running shorts
+Breakfast for dinner
+Refreshing coconut water
+Listening to Mr. Johnny Cash on vinyl.
+Honesty

IG @xsarexbearx
#SPIL
 
Much love.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!