Pages

Monday, July 22, 2013

Occupying My Mind

I’m emotional.  Anyone who knows me, knows this fact about me.  I wear my emotions on my sleeve.  Complete strangers can tell how I am feeling.  Poker will never be the game for me.  Shucks!  This being said, I need to occupy my mind during heavily emotional periods of my life like this one because if I don’t I just sleep and cry far too much. 
 
(Check out this post for the reason I'm emotional.)

When I was in graduate school, I tutored to make a few extra dollars and for the most part I enjoyed it immensely.  I realized which subjects I can tutor well and which ones I should stay away from.  Shocker, note the sarcasm, Economics, Statistics, Finance, and Standardized Test prep were the subjects I enjoyed and was most effective at teaching.  Since I received some enjoyment and it keeps me relevant in the subject matter, I have decided to take on select students.  I am being picky and will not overextend myself.  If it is too much on me, I will cut back or stop all together, but I am hopeful that it will be good for me! 

I’ve also decided to really focus on photography.  I love it!  I thoroughly enjoy capturing moments in time, researching techniques and practicing.  I am taking senior portraits on the beach this weekend and I am jazzed!  I found a location that has a variety of backdrops and I practiced with Jared this weekend.  Granted he was skim boarding the entire time, but I was still able to figure out how to best capture the ocean, the sky, the sand, the rocks, etc.  If this session goes well, my confidence will be boosted.  Fingers crossed.
 
My ultimate career goal is to be self-employed and the time to take that plunge is now.  There will not be a better time.  "Better Times" are figments of our psyche.  The steps must be taken now and I am jumping in full force!  I want to be happy in my career, provide some financial support and still maintain the flexibility for my family and friends.  I value family time immensely and I refuse to let my job take that time away from me.  The journey may not be easy, but it will be worth it.
 
My father is self-employed and growing up my mother was a stay at home mom and handled the books for the business.  Having my mom and dad at school events was amazing!  I love that my dad could change his work hours to be there for his kids and I love that my mom was always there to get us ready in the morning and fetch us from the bus in the afternoon.  Having my parents so close during my childhood has instilled a love and admiration for them in me that in indescribable.  I want that for my children. Plain and Simple.
 
Are you self-employed?  What were the challenges that you faced along the way?  Was it worth it in the end?  Are you happier?

Much love.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!