Pages

Monday, April 1, 2013

DC Freestyles 2013

Last weekend I was in DC for my second dance competition with Arthur Murray!  It was a wonderful success.  I felt much more comfortable and confident in my ability this time around.  I knew what to expect and believe that I handled myself better.  My mentality was to live in the moment and take note of what I need to work on.  With each competition I have a goal that I want to accomplish/improve upon.  For the next competition, I want to be more consistent in my dancing.  I don't want to make silly mistakes.  I also want to work on my arms and posture.  If I focus on technique, I believe that I will be a much stronger dancer.  Smiling and having fun aren't issues for me.  

This competition was different for me because we had a much larger group from our studio in attendance!  It made for an amazing time on a social level as well as a competition level.  We had individuals in virtually all categories, so there was always someone to cheer for!  It was a wonderful experience and I am looking forward to the next one.  

Here is a video of one of the Hustles I did with my instructor.  It is a freestyle, meaning that it is all lead a following with zero choreography:


I have other videos, but I am unable to add them to this post. If you'd like to see a mambo or a cha cha, email me and I will send you the link.  

Here are some pictures from last weekends dance competition: Arthur Murray DC Freestyles Spring 2013. I took screenshots with my phone because I don't have any photos of myself dancing.  TimeLineMedia took all of these photos and did a wonderful job. 

Here are three photos of my rhythm dress.  It moved!






Here are three photos of my smooth dress.  I don't have any full length photos, but you can grasp the different style between the rhythm and smooth dresses.  






My only complaints about the weekend were the floor and my back.  I have a chubby back and I will be working on that one ASAP.  The floor on the other hand was completely out of my control, but was very unsatisfactory.  My shoe got caught several times and even tore at one point.  For a dance competition, the floor is of vital importance.  Other than those two things, the  weekend was filled with lots of dancing, great conversation and my amazing family and friends!  My parents, sister and best friend all came to watch me dance!  It was amazing to see them and show them what I love to do!  Thank you for coming to watch me dance!  It means the world to me!

Oh and LaSalle won twice that weekend!  While they didn't make it past the Sweet 16, they did make it to the Sweet 16 and that in itself is very sweet!  Proud to be a LaSalle Explorer!

Much love. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!