Pages

Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Salsa Spotlight


I had my first Spotlight performance on Friday and it was a blast!  A spotlight is a short routine that you perform in front of the other members of the studio to showcase what you've been working on...and to gain some performance confidence. 
Eric, one of the instructors with Arthur Murray, was nice enough to teach me 5 or 6 salsa patterns.  He isn't my normal teacher, but he was an absolute joy to work with! 

**Eric, Thank you so much for taking me on as a student!  I enjoyed every second...even the frustrating ones!** 

We trained only three times in preparation for the performance due to a last minute decision to have me showcase a dance.  I was a ball of nerves before the performance and ball of excitement and gratitude afterwards.  You can see me relax throughout the dance.  I didn’t mess up…aside from the ending…my back was too arched. 
I just feel alive when I dance!  Here is my minute and a half performance!  Enjoy!

Side note: I think I have a booty!  It's been a long time in the making.  :P
I borrowed the skirt and am on the hunt for a slightly shorted, lower waisted skirt that is similar to this one. 
Let me know what you think!


Much love.

8 comments:

  1. This is fantastic! I'm so glad someone recorded it because it put a big smile on my face. I've taken a few dance lessons and it is much tougher than it looks. I'm impressed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Ryan actually got his iPad the day of my performance so he was able to record it! Talk about perfect timing! I'm glad it put a smile on your face!

      Delete
  2. You were adorable! I can't wait to see you perform again. You did a great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very impressive. I was taking ballroom with Fred Astaire VA Beach; however, they went out of business. Another company took on their students and I've been going there, but I've also been looking into AM. I'm hoping you can provide me with a bit of insight. I've been taking ballroom now for 7 months and with both studios I've been the only person in my 30s taking ballroom. Does Arthur Murray have students my age that take ballroom? Also, when I go to the practice parties I always feel like a 3rd wheel because almost everyone is with their significant other. Do any single people take dance lessons with AM? Don't take this question the wrong way, I'm not looking to hook up with anyone I just want to become proficient in ballroom dance and not feel like a 3rd wheel all of the time. Any information that you can provide is greatly appreciated. You did a fabulous job with your spotlight dance too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Yes, there are several singles that dance at Arthur Murray of all ages. I am in my mid 20's and feel more than comfortable there. It's a friendly environment with lots of energy. There will be times that you feel like the 3rd wheel, but for the most part, everyone feels very included. I go solo sometimes and with my husband other times.

      Delete

I love comments!