Pages

Wednesday, November 28, 2012

30 Day Shred with Jillian Michaels: Level 1

Hubby gave me Jillian Michael’s 30 Day Shred for my birthday!  He was filling a request, not insinuating that I need to lose any weight.  Frankly, if I gained 10 lbs, he’d be happy as a clam because “all the good stuff” gets bigger too.  We’ve agreed to disagree on this one.  I want to be strong, fit and tiny!  When I feel good about myself, it benefits both of us!   

So, I just started the 30 Shred on Monday and I already skipped day two, but that was because I danced for over 2 hours, so I think that counts as a workout for the day.  Don’t be fooled, I really enjoyed the first workout and I will be doing it virtually daily.  While I could probably skip level 1, I am going to work through the program as instructed. 

Level 1 is only 20 minutes long, but you are constantly moving and switching up exercises, so it’s a workout.  It’s Circuit Training: 3 minutes strength, 2 minutes cardio, 1 minute abs, and each circuit works slightly different muscles.  Her strategy is to work large and small muscle groups together without a break. For virtually every exercise there is a modified version.  For example, I can’t do a ton of “boy” pushups, so I do as many as I can and then I do the “girl” version on my knees.   

This is great for a busy lifestyle because it’s a fairly intense 20 minutes in your living room as opposed to going to the gym or doing an hour long video.  If you do it on a consistent basis, I think it will work, but I will be sure to update you on here.  Ryan and I did it together and we actually broke a sweat & felt good afterwards and the next day.  My quads are a little sore, but a good sore!
 
 
Level 1
Pros:
20 minutes
Cardio, Strength and Abs
Works several muscle groups
Broke a sweat
Good music
Modified workouts 

Cons:
Stress on knees
Need weights

I will be sure to update when we reach level 2 and level 3. 

Much love.

2 comments:

  1. I'm surprised you're claiming good music as a pro! Usually, workout DVDs have the cheesiest "pump it up" tunes.

    The con of needing weights is the one thing that keeps me from trying this type of workout. I don't mind weights, but 1) I don't want to buy them, and 2) I don't feel like finding a good place to store them! I may just bite the bullet someday and do it anyway.

    Glad you liked the first workout! Let me know if you like the rest of the program, and I might run out and try this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok, the music isn't great, but it wasn't annoying or distracting (which is usually the case). I don't actually have weights. I used soup cans and a medicine ball instead. I will eventually get weights, but I need to find a good deal and hopefully get ones that Ryan and I will both be able to use.

      I will keep you posted on the workout!

      Delete

I love comments!